Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Loving People Who Hate People

I was at work yesterday and a lady came to to sit with me as I took incoming calls. She was a tenured representative and she really knows her stuff. I had sat with her a few times in the past few months and each time I left the situation wondering how someone could be so cynical. She was a little harsh on me as a new employee but much worse about the clients.

She will sit back and poke fun at their hardship situations, assuring me that some day I won't care about them either. She will make malicious comments about the customer's account balance, race, age, sex, and anything else that might get brought to her attention. I'm having a really hard time showing love and grace to this person. Honestly I don't like her at all. However, I know that God desires all to come to Him(I Timothy 2:4)...which means that God loves this lady. The creator of the infinite universe and the taste of apple pie...He loves her.

I think about Saul before he became Paul. I would imagine that if I lived during the time of his tyranny towards Christians that I would have trouble loving him as well. Then I think about how God called him to do so many great things. Reading Paul's story, you can't help but love him. I guess I need to "read" the lady's story at work. Maybe she is just in the Saul stage of life.

I'm going to start praying for her. I'm going to start finding new ways to live missionally towards her.

1 comment:

John M. Kirton II said...

Uh, maybe you ought to add me to your prayer list of people who hate people! Let me explain: Sometimes, I, too, find myself awfully annoyed about people...maybe, not so much the people themselves but their actions. For example (yeah, this might be considered a confession!): I find myself in a spirit of reclusive, antisocial and sequestered first thing in the morning (just ask my roommate!) and after work (I think "work" has something to do with it!). In the mornings, (think: Proverbs 27:14), I usually want to be left alone. Throughout the day, I feel like I am dealing with people who don't want to take responsibility for their jobs or actions. By the end of the day, I am mentally, socially, and emotionally exhausted and am tired of "dealing" with people.

Pray for me as well.