Friday, August 1, 2008

Invisible Children and Invisible Thoughts


I've heard about Invisible Children before. The Documentary has been around for a while now, and in the circle of people I hang around, it's hard not to hear about it.

When I heard about what was going on in Uganda, I was shocked! I hated that kids were getting abducted and I was glad there was somebody working on getting the problem out to the world.

It's been a few years now since I've heard about that war. Life continued on.

This morning I watched the documentary for the 1st time. I can't tell you how many things really merit a 'note' all for themselves. There are tons of things to talk about from the film. The film evokes questions, emotions, passions, and actions!

I hear these kids talk about fear that I've never experienced. I don't cry often...I may have an emotional inability to cry in death situations and severe break up situations. As the film fades I find my self wiping more tears away than I've cried in the last 10 years.

The tears were for a two main reasons. (1)These are kids...who aren't kids at all. They are people horrifically bullied by other people who were once in the same dark, wet, hiding place shivering, for fear that they would be abducted. (2) If I turn around...away from my computer screen to scan my room....I may forget. And in this moment, that thought is unbearable.

Then, in the documentary, a young boy fades in. He asks the camera man, "Do you think if you go there that you will not forget about us?" The boy wouldn't look up into the camera man's eyes for more than a moment. As if it weren't him who was invisible...as if it weren't the thousands of children sleeping in hiding places that were invisible...as if it weren't those who had already been abducted and brainwashed that were invisible...but as if the help promised was invisible.

How do we keep from forgetting? How do we war against invisible thoughts that lead to no action?

No comments: